Re: Re: J/Link problem on Mac OS X

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55344] Re: [mg55247] Re: [mg55204] J/Link problem on Mac OS X
  • From: Todd Gayley <tgayley at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 04:46:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 05:44 AM 3/18/2005, Mike Honeychurch wrote:
>Todd,
>
>I'm referring to the version number of the application, i.e. Jlink.app
>
>When you click on "get info" you find that the file was created on 26th Feb
>and the version is J/Link version 3.0.1 copyright 2004 Wolfram Research Inc.
>
>So while the package says version 3.0.2 the actual J/Link application within
>the package says 3.0.1

Mike,

I apologize for any version number confusion. The update to J/Link 3.0.2
involved adding a single line of code and I see that there are a couple
places where I failed to update embedded revision numbers. J/Link reveals
its version information via the JLink`Information` context, and that is
really the authoritative, portable way to determine the revision you are
using. Rest assured that you do have 3.0.2.

>By the way if this really is a Mac OS X problem how come I can run J/Link
>applications using version 5 on the same computer that I cannot run J/Link
>applications using version 5.1?

Because J/Link 3.0 is very different from J/Link 2.1.

Anyway, I think Igor has hit the nail on the head with his reply. You don't
have the "10.3.8" problem for which J/Link 3.0.2 was created. You probably
have the same problem (and the fix) as the user in the link he cited
(http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2005/Jan/msg00286.html). That
problem will occur when users copy parts of J/Link into their
~/Library/Java/Extensions/ folder. This is a bad idea in general because it
is certain to lead to problems like this every time you update J/Link. The
Extensions folder is always examined first by the OS/X Java runtime, so it
will load the old version of JLink.jar, which is not going to work with the
newer JLink.m file.

Todd Gayley
Wolfram Research