Re: Simplifying ArcTan

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55566] Re: Simplifying ArcTan
  • From: "David W. Cantrell" <DWCantrell at sigmaxi.org>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 03:20:59 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I don't know what I was thinking! It should be without the condition on
> x.

Right. The condition that x be nonzero, which you'd mentioned earlier, was
unnecessary.

> But why shouldn't
>
> FullSimplify[ArcTan[Cos[x], Sin[x]],
> -Pi < x <= Pi]
>
> simplify to x? After all, the two argument ArcTan works for all
> combinations of arguments, except ArcTan[0, 0] and even that gives
> Interval[{-Pi, Pi}].
>
> ArcTan[0, 3]
> Pi/2
>
> In fact, why shouldn't it simplify to x just by specifying that x is
> Real?

Well, just consider ArcTan[Cos[x], Sin[x]] when x is, say, 2 Pi. There's
no way that ArcTan[_, _] could yield 2 Pi; it's not in the function's
range.

If x is merely specified to be Real, then ArcTan[Cos[x], Sin[x]] surely
can't be simplified to anything essentially simpler than the expression
I gave in my previous response.

David Cantrell

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net