Re: Simplifying Log to ArcCos Expressions

"David Park" wrote

>Dear MathGroup,
>
>I want to integrate the following expression and get a simple answer.
>
>expr1 = (k/r^2)*(1/Sqrt[1 - k^2/r^2])
>
>The answer is actually quite simple: ArcCos[k/r] + constant. But what a lot
of work for me to get it! Perhaps someone can show a simpler path.

If I'm not mistaken, this is easily done by substitution.
http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/trig_substitution/

Simplification should be done before calling Integrate, then.

cheers,
Peltio
Sometimes, the best way to use Mathematica is to not use it at all. : ]
--
Invalid address in reply-to. Crafty deminging required to mail me.