Re: solve() problem since new ROM update
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg57019] Re: [mg56926] solve() problem since new ROM update
- From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at aapt.net.au>
- Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 02:33:57 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi Mike, This looks like a question for a HP-4? Newsgroup .... > I have tried multiple problems (simple ones albiet) to solve > while in ALG mode. > SOLVE(x^4 - 1 = 3, x) > but this provides no result. Just returns the question with no answer. > The answer should be x = -Sqrt(2) or x = sqrt(2). Mathematica and my HP-48GX agree here to 11 decimal places -- there are 4 roots +/-Sqrt and +/-I * Sqrt. > The example works in RPN, but I use both environments > depending what I am doing. It worked before the upgrade. Maybe you need to try upgrading your ROM again? > Am I missing something here! Mathematica by the looks of things ... Regards, Dave.