Re: Re: 5.2 on suse 10.0 error

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg62062] Re: Re: 5.2 on suse 10.0 error
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 02:51:00 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

bsyehuda at wrote:

> Hi,
> I had the same problem but the solution that worked out with earlier SUSE
> versions was not sufficient.
> The first part remains as is given in
> you need only parts 1 and 2. part 3 will only work once in each session
> and you wiil either need to write this command manually on you shell or
> make this happen each time you log in.
> For the second option just (I use the bash shell) enter the command
> xrdb .XMathematica into you .bashrc file
> use any text editor you like. You will find this file is in your home
> directory
> good luck
> yehuda
> On 11/8/05, Steven T. Hatton <hattons at> wrote:

I do not believe I ever saw the errors Masrur posted.  I believe this is all
I have done to my system to get Mathematica to work correctly.

$ touch ~/.Xdefaults

$ echo $MMA_ADDONS

$ echo $MMA_APPS

$ cat ~/bin/mma
pushd $MMA_CODE
export CLASSPATH=\

xrdb ~/.Xdefaults

nohup mathematica\
 -font 10x20\
 -geometry 800x600+80+60\
 -singleLaunch $@ > ~/.Mathematica/mma.log &
########### EOF ####################

$ chmod 755 ~/bin/mma
$ ~/bin/mma

I recently reinstalled Mathematica, so everything in the install directory
which I might have modified should be back to default settings.  I do not
have an XMathematica under /usr/X11R6.
$ grep -r XMathematica *  2> /dev/null
$ grep -r Xmathematica *  2> /dev/null

The 2> /dev/null just sends the "permission denied" errors to /dev/null
The Mathematica Wiki:
Math for Comp Sci
Math for the WWW: