Re: Re: Re: Mathematica 1

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62087] Re: [mg62067] Re: [mg62005] Re: Mathematica 1
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 02:51:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 10 Nov 2005, at 16:51, Renan wrote:

> On 11/9/05, Arne Eide <arne.eide at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have the DOS-version of Mathematica 1.2 and for fun I did try to
>> install it on my PC (Wndows XP). It failed to start in the command
>> tool, giving this error message:
>>
>> "The 386 chip is currently executing in virtual 8086 mode under
>> the control
>> of another program.  You must turn off this other program in order
>> to use 386|DOS-Extender to run in protected mode."
>
> Windows NT4/2000/XP will not let you have "control" of the processor.
> However, it should run on Windows 95/98, I think, or in the "MS-DOS
> mode" of Win98.
>
> Another option is running it under DOSBox (free DOS emulator) / MS
> Virtual PC / VMware (both commercial "x86 emulator" programs that
> allow to run another OS within Windows XP).
>
> I don't know about the Mac version of Mathematica, however.
> --
> Thanks/obrigado, Renan "Wishmaster" Birck - Canoas, Rio Grande do
> Sul, Brasil
> MSN: wizard_of_yendor at hotmail.com
> Orkut: http://www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=2202360379963855296

Honestly, I do not see why anyone would like to run a DOS version of
Mathematica. It was awful. If you really love the command line even
the oldest unix version will be preferable in every way.
The Mac version 1.2 was a different matter. If I recall correctly,
the Kernel and the Front End were still one program: they only became
separated n version 2. There were also some interesting bugs that
might be good for a lough today (although as they were mostly in the
Kernel you will also find them in the DOS version). That's all the
use I can think of finding for Mathematica v. 1.
However, the original Next computer and the Mathematica that was
bundled with it with were real classics, and even I, who happily got
rid of almost all my pre-PowerPC Mac software and all floppy disks
(the only exception being "The Ancient Art of War At Sea", which I
still sometimes play on my MacPlus), might be tempted if I could get
them for a reasonable price. In the days when they were actually
useful the price was definitely not reasonable so it might perhaps
feel a little bit like owning an ancient Rolls-Royce.

Andrzej Kozlowski