Re: MathLink slow

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg62627] Re: MathLink slow
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 06:44:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

my personal experience is that MathLink is quite
fast when
passing data since version 4.2 is faster. But the
speed depends
on your programming style. Since MathLink pass the
heads of an expression
it took more time to send

{Line[{p1,p2}],Line[{p2,p3}],Line[{p3,p4}]}

than

Line[{p1,p2,p3,p4}]

but the result in the line drawing is the same.
The same apply to read the elemens in a array
element by element or to pass the array as a
single
list.

When the MathLink overhead is realy the problem,
it is useless to use MathLink at all. In that case
it is better to do the job in the Mathematica
Kernel.

Regards
  Jens

"Lars Schouw" <schouwla at yahoo.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:dmh944$8rq$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Mathlink is slow passing data over between
Mathematica and a C++ dll. When I pass over a lot
of data all my comutaional time is lost in passing
over data!