Re: Re: Re: Package development

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg62643] Re: [mg62588] Re: [mg62569] Re: Package development
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:06:37 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Why can't you use line-breaks tabs and spacing in StandardForm expressions
in package notebooks? I do it all the time.

It is the use of comments that is the problem. We don't know their status
and when and how we can or can't use them.

David Park
djmp at

From: Gerry Flanagan [mailto:flanagan at]
To: mathgroup at

I'm surprised by the number of people that say they develop packages
using the notebook interface as an editor. About once a year I give that
a try and decide its hopeless. I'm a big fan of using line-breaks, tabs,
and other pretty-print tricks to add some clarity to the functions. The
automated features in the notebook are clever, but not good enough for
something I want to release within the company. So I end up with
developmental notebooks that feed (copy/paste) a text .m file over time.
BTW, I like a product called UltraEdit for my programming. It allows me
to set up a file of Mathematica keywords so that I can use color syntax
highlighting while editing.
Gerry F.