Re: MiniMaxApproximation question

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg62662] Re: MiniMaxApproximation question
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:40:36 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <dksdoi$h8n$1 at>, michael_chang86 at

> Many thanks for your response and help; I tried the Padé approximation
> routine, and this is 'better', but I'm still seeking the ubiquitous
> Chebyshev 'equioscillation' (or 'alternation') behaviour in terms of
> *absolute* error.
> Am I missing something simple here <doh!>?  For what I am seeking
> (equioscillation), it appears that Mathematica only optimizes for
> *relative* error.  Have I missed a more basic command that does what I
> want?

Surely MiniMaxApproximation in the NumericalMath`Approximations` is what
you are after?

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)