Re: Rounding?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg60891] Re: [mg60881] Rounding?
  • From: Pratik Desai <pdesai1 at>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 01:54:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Tom De Vries wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>Sorry if this is an obvious question.  I'm wondering why the two results
>below are different?
>I'm creating programs to generate test questions, and I need to know that my
>computer generated answers will match the student answers, to say, three
>decimal places.  So the answer is -0.0625  "exactly", the first result makes
>sense to me, the second doesn't.
>If there is a reason for this, is there are way to insure I can make the
>first result look like the second result all the time??
>Thanks for your input!
>Tom De Vries
This is another example of the result being displayed in OutputForm
(used in ToString)

SetAccuracy[-0.0625, 4]
SetAccuracy[-0.0625, 4] // OutputForm
SetAccuracy[-0.0625, 4] // ToString

Although when you set the accuracy to 5 all of the above work

See help on OutputForm for more details

Hope this helps

Pratik .

Pratik Desai