- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg60891] Re: [mg60881] Rounding?
- From: Pratik Desai <pdesai1 at umbc.edu>
- Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 01:54:42 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <200510010655.CAA13187@smc.vnet.net>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Tom De Vries wrote: >Hello everyone, > >Sorry if this is an obvious question. I'm wondering why the two results >below are different? > >I'm creating programs to generate test questions, and I need to know that my >computer generated answers will match the student answers, to say, three >decimal places. So the answer is -0.0625 "exactly", the first result makes >sense to me, the second doesn't. > >If there is a reason for this, is there are way to insure I can make the >first result look like the second result all the time?? > > >SetAccuracy[-0.0625,4] > >-0.063 > >ToString[SetAccuracy[-0.0625,4]] > >-0.062 > > >Thanks for your input! > > >Tom De Vries > > > This is another example of the result being displayed in OutputForm (used in ToString) SetAccuracy[-0.0625, 4] >>-0.063 SetAccuracy[-0.0625, 4] // OutputForm >>-0.062 SetAccuracy[-0.0625, 4] // ToString >>-0.062 Although when you set the accuracy to 5 all of the above work >>-0.625 See help on OutputForm for more details Hope this helps Pratik . -- Pratik Desai Graduate Student UMBC Department of Mechanical Engineering Phone: 410 455 8134
- From: Tom De Vries <email@example.com>