Re: NET/Link with Mono?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg61210] Re: [mg61190] NET/Link with Mono?
  • From: Todd Gayley <tgayley at>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 03:21:34 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

At 12:42 AM 10/12/2005, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
>Has anybody attempted to use the .NET suff in the Mathematica distribution
>on Linux using Mono?

There is experimental support for Mono on Linux in .NET/Link, but a bug in
version 1.2.1 (this is the version that ships with Mathematica 5.2)
prevents it from working. You can try it with version 1.2.0, however, which
you can get from That is
the version bundled with Mathematica 5.1, but you can use it with other
versions of Mathematica. Get the zip file and unpack it into <mathematica
dir>/AddOns. You can test which version of .NET/Link you have like this:

You should find that with .NET/Link 1.2.0, InstallNET[] succeeds as long as
you have the 'mono' executable on your PATH. Creating objects and calling
methods works, and so does using DefineDLLFunction to call C functions in
shared libraries. Almost anything that tries to use Windows Forms (that is,
a GUI program) is sure to fail, however. Be sure you have the latest
release of Mono.

We are watching the progress of Mono and will decide when, or if, to
announce support for it in .NET/Link. I wouldn't be surprised if we bundle
.NET/Link with all platforms in the next release of Mathematica and claim
limited Mono support.

Todd Gayley
Wolfram Research