Re: Mathematica won't run if LANG var is set to pt_BR

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg60230] Re: Mathematica won't run if LANG var is set to pt_BR
  • From: Scott Hemphill <hemphill at hemphills.net>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 04:53:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Renan <renan.birck at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed Mathematica in Linux (Ubuntu Linux 5.04 - essentially
> Debian) and works OK, as long as my LANG environment variable is set to 'C'
> (which means 'no specific language') or 'US'.
>
> But I want to use the GNOME window manager in Portuguese, and this,
> "automagically" sets the LANG variable to pt_BR (which means 'Brazilian
> Portuguese'). When this is set, Mathematica will not run, it will error at
> startup with "An illegal right-hand side value was specified for the cell
> style option "FontColor"".
>
> Anybody knows how to fix this problem?
>
> I use Mathematica 5.0.

I use Mathematica 5.1, but I expect my solution to work for you.  In my
installation, links for "math", "mathematica" and "Mathematica" were placed
in /usr/local/bin.  I replaced each of these links with the following
shell script:

  #!/bin/bash
  MATH=`basename "$0"`
  export LANG=C
  export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
  export OMP_NUM_THREADS=1
  exec /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/5.1/Executables/"$MATH" "$@"

My guess is that if you change the "5.1" to "5.0", it will work for you, too.
When creating the shell script, don't forget to turn the execute bit on with
chmod.

By the way, the "export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1" makes threads work, and the
"export OMP_NUM THREADS=1" tells Mathematica not to use them, since although
I am running an SMP kernel, all I have is a single Pentium 4, and hyper
threading doesn't quite make up for the extra overhead involved in using
threads.

Scott
Scott Hemphill	hemphill at alumni.caltech.edu
"This isn't flying.  This is falling, with style."  -- Buzz Lightyear