Re: Precedence

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg60329] Re: Precedence
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:07:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <dfrgpu$fr6$1 at>, "Xerxes" <Xerxes314 at>

> I've been writing a package using Mathematica to do lattice
> perturbation theory. As a part of my package, I'd like to
> define my own matrix multiplication, which I call dotm. Since
> CenterDot looks pretty and has no previous assignment, I've
> used it as both the input and output format of dotm. However,
> I run into problems when I try to type things like
> Y[x].g A[x].Y[x+a]
> where the . should be imagined to be CenterDot. Because the
> precedence of the . is higher than the precedence of the
> multiplication, this gives (Y.g)(A.Y) instead of Y.(gA).Y.
> I know I can attach a TagBox to the CenterDot to force it to
> have lower precedence, but that ruins the convenience of typing
> esc-.-esc to get the dot. Is there some other way to teach
> Mathematica to use a lower precedence?

You can use <<Utilities`Notation` to define your notation and also to
change the precedence (using SyntaxForm). Evaluate

    FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["DemosLink", "Notation Package"]]

for more information, especially the section on "Complex Patterns and
Advanced Features"

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)