Re: Mathematica: access serial port?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg60482] Re: Mathematica: access serial port?
  • From: "ragfield" <ragfield at>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 02:32:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Renan wrote:
> Is there any way to make a Mathematica program access the serial port?
> I need this to link to external electronical device.
> Maybe using MathLink (but I don't know programming in C/C++)?

A while back I created a package that does this.  After reading your
message I cleaned it up a little and contributed it to the Mathematica
InfoCenter <>, but it has not yet been
posted.  In the mean time you can download it here

Unzip, place the folder in $[User]BaseDirectory/Applications, then load
with <<SerialIO`.  The SerialIO directory contains a simple example
notebook.  Currently it works with Mac OS X and Linux (x86).  I can add
support for Windows and possibly other Unix platforms at request.

Rob Raguet-Schofield
Wolfram Research