Mathematica doesn't say the unsimplified expression is False. It simply
leaves it unchanged.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Sven C. Koehler [mailto:schween at snafu.de]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hello!

As an occasional mathematican, I sometimes forget that i.e.

Log[x/y] is very similar to Log[x] / Log[y]

Is there some way in Mathematica to see how an mathematical
expression could look like alternatively?  (Something like the  opposite
of Simplify.)

And then I wonder why

Log[x/y] === Log[x] - Log[y]

is False.  Can I instruct Mathematica to explain why this is False?

Best wishes,

Sven