Simplifying equations for Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg65752] Simplifying equations for Mathematica
  • From: Yaroslav Bulatov <yaroslavvb at>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 03:49:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

[This post has been delayed due to email problems - moderator]

I'm trying to solve some likelihood equations, and Mathematica will not

finish in reasonable time. I'm wondering if there is a way I can

rewrite it so that Mathematica can do them

The concrete example is

The gradient of f defines a map R^5->R^5, and I need to invert that

map. (This particular example can be solved by hand, but I'm wondering
about other cases of the same form)

Here's the command I use to solve it (works on Mathematica 5.2 only)

It's been running for several days on a Pentium 2Ghz. Are there simple

transformations I can do to help Mathematica solve it?