Re: Define new constant as Pi is

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65851] Re: Define new constant as Pi is
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 06:56:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <e1vf0p$9do$1 at smc.vnet.net>, suchaneck <greenux at gmx.de>
wrote:

> I'm programming a package for Max-Plus Algebra, where the constant
> \[Epsilon} is the same as -\[Infinity]. I want Mathematica to operate with
> it, like it does with Pi. While calculating a function it knows that the
> Symbol Pi is 3.14..., but within the Output Pi is kept as Symbol. I want
> the same for \[Epsilon}. Does anybody knows a solution for that? Thanks.

If you define

  N[\[Epsilon]] := -Infinity

then if you enter

  (\[Epsilon] + 3)^2 - \[Epsilon]

the output is not evaluated. Then apply N.

  N[%]
  Infinity

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Abbott                                      Phone:  61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                            Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia         (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)
AUSTRALIA                               http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul