Re: Re: Illusory Multicore Support in 5.2?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66056] Re: [mg66046] Re: Illusory Multicore Support in 5.2?
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 06:32:32 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Using Mathematica 5.2.2 on OS X 10.4.6 PowerMac QuadCore. I haev 8
Gbytes RAM

I ran Activity monitor to see the CPU usage graphically.

I executed the following in 1 cell so that all the computations would
be passed to the kernel at the same time:

N[Ï?, 100000000]; // Timing
N[ϵ, 100000000]; // Timing
N[Sqrt[2], 100000000]; // Timing

(doing just 1000000 places returned too fast -- pi in 3.4 seconds and
the others much faster. I asked for 100 times the decimal places so
the program would run for a while.)

I would expect one thread per computation -- they are independent.
Instead, I get 100% of one CPU all the time. The CPU switches from
time to time -- probably the OS resolving usage/heat issues.

The Activity monitor reposts MathKernel using 3 threads and 99.9% of
the CPU -- the max is 400%. I can get more than 200% of CPU usage
running iTunes's visualliser with all the options cranked up, or Sims
2. There appears to be no problem with the OS distributing a multi-
threaded app among the processors.

The good news is that there is no slowdown from the rest of my apps:
the OS distributes the usage among running apps very well. the Bad
News is that Mathematica seems to be using only one CPU at a time.

george