"Freezing" evaluation Output?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68858] "Freezing" evaluation Output?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 03:28:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

[I hope people will pardon the ongoing barrage of perhaps absurd
questions I keep posting; the answers are appreciated, and sometimes
even useful.]

Is there any simple programmable way to "freeze" the Output from the
evaluation of an Input cell, so that subsequent reevaluation of the
Input cell doesn't end by erasing the previous output?

E.g., I evaluate a plotting routine that takes a long time to do all its
calculations, and I want to be sure I keep the resulting graphic around
until I'm ready to delete it.

I appreciate there are simple ways to do this "manually":

1)  Insert (by hand) a dummy text cell between the Input and Output
cells.

2)  Export the Output to somewhere else, with a file name that contains
an execution-time-dependent string.

3)  Other similar approaches requiring "operator intervention".

But is there an execution (or output) option for Input cells (or for
individual commands) that says, "Don't replace previous output, even if
it's still there"?