Re: benchmark...why don't you send it back?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68902] Re: benchmark...why don't you send it back?
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 05:20:53 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

p-valko at tamu.edu wrote:
> I find it increasingly frustrating that there is not enough data on
> benchmark timing for Mathematica 5.2, though the benchmark is built in.
>
> So why don't you copy these lines to a new notebook on your computer;
> run it and copy the result (only the last cell) into your reply to this
> posting? (You may want to make changes to variable bm2 as appropriate.)
>
> Needs["Utilities`Benchmark`"]
> bm1 = Benchmark[] /. InputForm -> Identity;
> bm2 = {
>       "Processor" -> "Pentium IV 3 GHz",
>       "Memory" -> "2 G",
>       "Operating System" -> "Windows XP professional, SP 2",
>       "$Slaves" -> $Slaves
>       };
> Join[bm1,bm2]

The following is an unqualified opinion (that I wrote in Google Groups,
which doesn't have spell-check):

There are three reasons for the dearth of Mathematica benchmarks on the
internet. Number one is a lack of knowledge on the part of hardware
review website reviewers that these Mathematica benchmarks exist. Number two is
that they may not make the connection that Mathematica is a good
application to review for people that are technophiles; technophiles
are likely to be engineers, scientists, economists, ie. left brained
people - the same audience that could use Mathematica. Number three is
the hassle of the activation scheme.

We could help with reason numbers one and two. We could advocate use of
the benchmark to certain computer hardware review sites, extoling the
benefits (to them) thereof.

WRI could help with all three, but especially with number three. They
could interface with sites like (my reading list, lol) hardocp,
arstechnica, aceshardware, sharkyextreme, anandtech, et. al, to give
them a hotline or some type of rapid activation mechanism for their
(complimentary, of course) review copies of Mathematica.

This would give those people in the marketing department something to
do, besides putting a flash animation on the front page of the WRI
website. Just kidding! (sorta - honestly, I think accessiblity and
relevance is more important than branding for a technical software
company on the internet).

We could have a lot more benchmarks, and Mathematica could have more
exposure.