MathGroup Archive 2006

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: Utilizing the Result From Solve[]

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64109] Re: [mg64099] Utilizing the Result From Solve[]
  • From: "Maarten van der Burgt" <maarten.vanderburgt at icos.be>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 00:04:52 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Shyam,

Your method is correct but you can do it a bit shorter:
sol =Solve[z+2==3,z]
z = z/.sol[[1]]

Hope this helps

Maarten

Shyam                                                                                                                      
                    Guthikonda           To:     mathgroup at smc.vnet.net                                                                        
                    <shyamguth@gm        cc:                                                                                                   
                    ail.com>             Subject: [mg64109]     [mg64099] Utilizing the Result From Solve[]                                              

01/02/2006                                                                                                                 
                    10:34                                                                                                                      

If I am solving a simple equation, such as: Solve[z+2 = = 3,z], this
returns {{z->1}}. How can I easily get the result, 1? Solve[] returns
the solution in rule form.

The current method I use to just get the result looks very ugly. Is
there an easier way to do this?

Here is my current method:

ReplaceAll[z, First[ First[ Solve[ z + 2 = = 3, z ]]]];
z = %;

Now I can use z as a normal variable.

Thanks!
_Shyam

• Prev by Date: Re: How to fit complex valued data?
  • Next by Date: Re: How to fit complex valued data?
  • Previous by thread: Re: Utilizing the Result From Solve[]
  • Next by thread: does anybody know how to find the inverse Laplace transform of this wierd thing?