Re: Re: MathGL3d and Mathematica 5.3

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg64273] Re: [mg64260] Re: MathGL3d and Mathematica 5.3
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 02:44:39 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

 From the product manual for MathGL3d (version 4) at

   "... adds ... support for bump mapping, illuminated lines
   and an improved volume rendering....POVRAY output has been
   rewritten to produced smaller output files....the new version
   allows [more?] colors per vertex and colors per face.  The
   documentation has been improved....The light source editor
   has been enhanced."

I agree, though, that some sort of basic 3D interactivity ought to be
included in the base Mathematica product -- in fact ought to have been
included already.  So it's almost unimaginable to me that Wolfram would
not include some sort of 3D interactivity in some new version soon.

I'm even a bit puzzled why this has not already happened.  Perhaps it's
been a question of good performance in the interpreted system; perhaps
it's a question of what interface design fits with the overall front end
design; perhaps, even, Wolfram has been waiting for hardware to catch up.

Ronald Bruck wrote:
> (Top-posting because Murray did)
> Really?  Wolfram is SELLING MathGL3D?
> This brings up the obvious question:  how much more functional is their
> version than the original, FREE version, available at
>    <>?
> And is this why Kuska hasn't ever updated it for Mac OS?
> --Ron Bruck
> In article <ds9nlb$bh$1 at>, Murray Eisenberg
> <murray at> wrote:
>> It seems unlikely that Wolfram would include THAT much functionality in
>> the next version of Mathematica.  After all, it is now selling MathGL3d
>> as a 4d-party Application at a standard price of $450 and an educational
>> price of $300.
>> I, for one, would sure hate to have the price of Mathematica itself go
>> up by anything like that much just in order to include the full
>> functionality of MathGL3d.
>> Mitch Murphy wrote:
>>> attention wolfram ...
>>> please include MathGL3d in Mathematica 5.3. i'm very disapointed that
>>> mathematica still does not have an integrated interactive 3d viewer
>>> after so many years.

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305