Re: Using sockets for "downloader" application in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg64314] Re: Using sockets for "downloader" application in Mathematica
  • From: "John Jowett" <John.Jowett at>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 03:32:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I knew about using Import with URLs but had the impression that it was
limited to a restricted class of URLs. Examples like this one give me an

Java::excptn: A Java exception occurred: The filename,
\ directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect
at Method)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(\

But obviously they are working for other people. Is there something wrong
with my setup of Mathematica 5.2 (or Java, which I know less about) on
Windows XP ?

I did find that the GetURL.nb Jlink example notebook works fine with such

Can anyone help ?

John Jowett
news:dshfkb$hob$1 at
To: mathgroup at