Re: Strange Syntax problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg64320] Re: Strange Syntax problem
  • From: "KvS" <keesvanschaik at>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 03:32:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Ok, thanks. There was also another reply which for some reason unknown
to me didn't appear in this thread so I'll just quote it here:

Hi Kees,
I have also seen similar problems from time to time, often in cases
where it
is difficult to isolate the problem in a nice way. Typically such
could be caused by an invisible StyleBox, a peculiar invisible
character, an
invisible embedded cell or errors in the parsing of the mathematical
structure. If you look at the internal BoxData structure of a
Input cell (use the menu command "Show expression"), it is easy to
understand that pasting of expressions into such a structure sometimes
cause some errors. You might try to convert the expression into
(by Shift+Ctrl+I in Windows) and back again (by Shift+Ctrl+N). Then the
expression is first turned into a string or TextData object, and then
back into a BoxData structure. This might help or might mess things up
worse, which is hard to predict. You could also try to convert it to
InputForm, copy it and paste it into some external editor, and check
happens. Maybe you might correct something and then you might paste
into a Mathematica Input cell.
There is also a chance that my buttons "StyleRemove" or
might help. They use other mechanisms than those built into "Convert To
InputForm" and "Convert To StandardForm". The buttons are located on my
SetFaceAndFont palette, see .

Best regards

Ingolf Dahl

Thanks for the extensive response Ingolf, I'll have a go at your hints

- Kees