Re: Re: Awesome PDF writer

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 03:31:48AM -0500, David Bailey wrote:
> Ed Peschko wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 03:15:19AM -0500, David Annetts wrote:
> >> Hi Paul,

> >> Just by way of information, there is also PDFCreator
> >> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/).  It's open source and has
> >> worked very well as a Windows printer for a few years now.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Dave.
> >>

> > hey all,
> >
> > I'm wondering if there is an equivalent PDF editor - the problem IMO with
> > the printer drivers above is AFAICT they create PDF black boxes, not
> > documents that you can edit.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a decent PDF editor along the above lines?
> >
> > Ed
> >
> I would have thought that the PDF file must more or less inevitably be a
> black box. A PDF editor could not 'know' about notebook structure. Why
> not edit the notebook and recreate the PDF file?
>
> David Bailey
> http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk

Well, not exactly.. right now, I'm thinking that ABBY fine reader (OCR scanning
recognition software) could scan in the document and give the document 'meaning'.

Either that, or instead of 'printing' to a PDF file, there was a direct-from-html
*converter* into an editable PDF file. That way, no structure would be lost in the
conversion.

I guess what I'm after is a way to take html-ified material and turn it into a format
suitable for publishing...

Ed