Re: Contour Plot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64639] Re: Contour Plot
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 00:19:36 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 2/23/06 at 12:35 AM, bgeter at mail.utexas.edu (Alicia) wrote:

>Can anyone explain to me how the contour plot shows that the limit
>possibly exits or doesnt exit?

Limit for what? You really need to be more specific regarding your question to get meaningful answers.

In general, plotting cannot be relied upon to indicate the existence or non-existence of limits. For example, the function

f[x_]:=x + Abs[x-1]^(-0.01)

has a singularity at x = 1. Yet, a plot of this function

Plot[f[x], {x,0,2}];

Barely indicates there might be a problem at x = 1 on my machine and may not show any indication of a problem on your machine.

Visible indications of problems like this will be even poorer with ContourPlot.