Re: NDSolve Problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67945] Re: NDSolve Problems
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 05:50:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

NDSolve[] will switch automatical to a stiff
initial value solver
when it detect that the problem is stiff.

Anyway, the advanced documentation link in the
Help-Browser page will
guide you to the advanced settings for the Method
option.

Regards
  Jens

<wandering.the.cosmos at gmail.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:e9frkc$2m4$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| I'm solving a bunch of coupled ODEs with NDSolve
and it keeps getting
| stuck. I noticed that the solutions are highly
oscillatory, which makes
| me suspect there's numerical instability. Do I
have a "stiff" system?
| How do I tell, and if so what can I do? Is there
any way I could
| supress these rapid oscillations "by hand"?
|
| My equations are too complicated to write here,
but if anyone could
| point me to some good references on solving
coupled ODEs with
| Mathematica with lots of troubleshooting tips,
I'd very much appreciate