Re: Wolfram Workbench

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68145] Re: [mg67990] Wolfram Workbench
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 02:26:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks for posting this message. I usually ignore all WRI product
announcements...

I have never used a revision control system before. I have wanted to
because my website files are XML, and should be easily manageable with
one. Unfortunately, (fully featured) Mathematica notebooks are
resistant to version control, or so I read on the group a long time
ago.

From watching the demos at

http://www.wolfram.com/products/workbench/workflow/

it appears WRI has developed a new type of .m and .nb file pairing. In
the new pairing, the .m file appears to the the primary document,
while the notebook is for testing code and generating outputs. Let's
hope no one accidentally uses the option to create a .m file from
initialization files on one of those notebooks. That might overwrite
the source file.

How should people go about importing old code (developed with the
previous .nb and .m file usage) into this framework?

I have many more questions, especially with respect to revision
control, package generation and loading, handling of the notebook
cache, etc, but I will download the trial first...

Do the Workbench developers feel like dropping any knowledge?

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/