Re: Re: Wolfram Workbench

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg68218] Re: [mg68145] Re: [mg67990] Wolfram Workbench
  • From: Igor Antonio <igora at wolf-ram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 01:00:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Chris,

Chris Chiasson wrote:
> Thanks for posting this message. I usually ignore all WRI product
> announcements...
>
> I have never used a revision control system before. I have wanted to
> because my website files are XML, and should be easily manageable with
> one. Unfortunately, (fully featured) Mathematica notebooks are
> resistant to version control, or so I read on the group a long time
> ago.

You can certainly manage your notebook files using a version control
software and use meaningful comments in the commits to help you "manage"
the files.  However, you won't be able to take "full" advantage of
version control programs, such as comparing different revisions.  This
is because you would be comparing the cell expressions, not their
content. In addition, things like:

- Cached data in the file
- Notebook properties, such as WindowSize, WindowMargins, etc...

will be shown as changes between notebooks and you probably wouldn't
care about them.

>>From watching the demos at
>
> http://www.wolfram.com/products/workbench/workflow/
>
> it appears WRI has developed a new type of .m and .nb file pairing. In
> the new pairing, the .m file appears to the the primary document,
> while the notebook is for testing code and generating outputs. Let's
> hope no one accidentally uses the option to create a .m file from
> initialization files on one of those notebooks. That might overwrite
> the source file.
 >
> How should people go about importing old code (developed with the
> previous .nb and .m file usage) into this framework?

I'm assuming that in addition to your package code, you also have tests
inside your notebook to test the package (tests that are not in
initialization cells, so they don't placed in the .m file).

There is no specific procedure on how to "import your old code" since
development on eclipse is focused on writing the .m files directly.

My suggestion is that you should first understand how Mathematica
projects work in eclipse, then figure out how to "move" things over.

You could simply create a Mathematica Basic Project, copy your
auto-created .m files into the project, create a new notebook in that
project, and copy your test cases from your old notebook to the new
notebook.  At that point, you can discard your old notebook.  When you
do a right-click on the new notebook, Mathematica > Run..., it will load
all the .m files from that project.

If you want to take it a step further, you can convert your tests from
your old notebook to specific unit tests in Eclipse.  This is a manual
process that would involve lots of cutting and pasting because the unit
tests must follow a specific syntax.

> I have many more questions, especially with respect to revision
> control, package generation and loading, handling of the notebook
> cache, etc, but I will download the trial first...
 >
> Do the Workbench developers feel like dropping any knowledge?

Ask away in the newsgroup. I'm not personally involved with the
development of the workbench, but we can all respond to users'
questions/comments. :-)

There's no trial version of the workbench.  Eclipse itself is free and
so is the Wolfram plugin to Eclipse.  The Wolfram Workbench (a
pre-packaged Eclipse with the Wolfram plugin + icons) is also free.  At
this time, it's only available to premier subscribers since it's still
pre-release version.

Igor

--
Igor C. Antonio
Wolfram Research, Inc.

To email me personally, remove the dash.