Re: Mathematica Font problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66835] Re: Mathematica Font problems
  • From: "ragfield" <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 06:54:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Skillman Hunter wrote:
> On page ten of the Mathematica v5.2 Tutorial the last equation is:
> 1 + x^2 + x^4 + x^5 /. x -> 3
> But in the actual Tutorial notebook, the -> is a single character that is
> typed in by ESC->ESC and the font is shown to be Courier New.
>
> When I copy the equation and paste it into MS Word, the font changes the
> right arrow to Mathematica1Mono so  remains a single character, because the
> standard Windows true type Courier New has no right arrow.
> Mathematica installs "Mathematica1Mono" font along with others. Apparently
> Mathematica also has a special version of Courier New which does have a
> right arrow.

To clarify part of your question, Mathematica does not have some
special version of Courier that contains a glyph for the \[Rule]
character.  Mathematica uses the standard Courier font but it knows
that Courier does not have a glyph for this character and
Mathematica1Mono does.  So it internally substitutes Mathematica1Mono
for Courier when it draws this character.

-Rob (Wolfram Research)