calling mathematica from an external program

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67027] calling mathematica from an external program
  • From: peregrine_falcon12 at hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 05:09:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Okay, I finally got mathematica to return some results of computations
to an external program. Now I only used a simple function (factorial),
which took one argument. So all I did was call MLPutFunction(mlink,
"Factorial", 1 ) and then MLPutInteger(mlink, 5 ), and it worked.

What I'd like to do now is call the FindRoot function, but this takes a
list of arguments as its second argument (i'm not sure if that's proper
terminology or makes sense at all...), so that the mathematica input
will look like so:

FindRoot[3x == 12, {x, 0}]

I'm not sure how to deal with this. How can I call this function from
my external program, using the MLPut... functions?