Re: Mathematica doesn't know what it's doing.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67181] Re: Mathematica doesn't know what it's doing.
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 02:18:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Like you I have an interest in document preparation but couldn't find any
definitive source to learn how to do the more advanced things in
Mathematica. I eventually concluded that I had to learn how to create
stylesheets myself. I have learnt how to do this by looking at the supplied
stylesheets using Format | Edit Style Sheet | Import Private Copy, and then
Format | Show Expression to see exactly how their cells work. If you poke
around like this then the general rules for how style sheets work gradually
become clear, and you can experiment by making changes (by toggling Format |
Show Expression and editing carefully) to see their effect. Remember to use
Import Private Copy otherwise you will be editing the master copy of the
stylesheet, which you probably don't want to do.

Anyway, the key words you want to look for to control the way that cells
group together are "TitleGrouping", "SectionGrouping", etc (for the Default
stylesheet). You can find these by doing Format | Show Expression on the
whole of a stylesheet, and then searching for the strings you are interested
in.

Steve Luttrell
West Malvern, UK

news:e6e2ko$1vt$1 at smc.vnet.net...