Re: Mathematica and Education

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64962] Re: Mathematica and Education
  • From: "Dave (from the UK)" <see-my-signature at southminster-branch-line.org.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 05:14:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

fizzy wrote:
> Recently, there were several discussions regarding the use of
> Mathematica in the classroom, etc...   I just took a course in Advanced
> Electromagnetic Engineering

I did something pretty similar 'Computer modeling of Fields' as part of
an MSc Microwaves and Optoelectronics - I later did a PhD, although not
on this subject.

I am also the author of an open-source program for computing impedance
of transmission lines of arbitrary cross section.

http://atlc.sourceforge.net/

> and I'm happy to say that I did not perform
> a single pencil and paper operation.

Personally I would be sorry to say that. And if you have any sense, I
would not admit it at a job interview.

> I did all the homework and exams
> using  Mathematica.

Were you allowed Mathematica in an exam? At UCL they are very
restrictive on the sort of calculators allowed, so something like
Mathematica would not be allowed.

> Also,  in hindsight, without Mathematica I would
> never take the course nor can I conceive of how I could without it
> although I realize there was a time where people did work without
> Mathematica.    The amount of  homework was horrendous and how you could
> do it with pencil and paper operations is beyond me.

I can't help feeling that doing some by pencil and paper is better for
learning.

> In fact, I've
> gotten so used to Mathematica that if I were told I can no longer use
> it in my work, etc. , I would give Science up.

You might well find like I did that I worked for a commercial company
and got presented with something far less capable. I forget what I had
to use at Marconi, but it was next to useless. I was quite glad when I
later worked in the uni again and had Mathematica.

> That is how attached
> I've become to Mathematica and how much more enjoyment I've gotten out
> of Science problems using it.

I think science problems are interesting, not just because Mathematica
exists. If the problem was not interesting, solving it with Mathematica
would not give me any thrills.

> Also, when I have to use other languages I feel like a Programmer and I
> dont relish that at all.  With Mathematica I actually feel that I'm
> doing some thinking and analyzing instead of just writing lines of code.

To me, if you use a lower level language you have to think far more.
That enforces understanding in *some* ways.

In some cases, using a high level language you can think more about the
problem than the details - and in many cases the details are not
important. Do I really case how to calculate a log - probably not. I'd
use Mathematica, a calculator or years ago a table of logs.

But I think in many cases the use of such a high level language can
allow you to get answers without understanding.

I like Mathematica and introduced colleagues to it at uni. I arranged
for us to buy copies for a Sun and later to get a departmental license.
I was involved to a certain extent on discussions on a campus wide
license.

> Jerry Blimbaum

I can't help feeling your views are rather extream, and one I doubt even
Wolfram Research as a company would share.

--
Dave K

Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE).