  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66220] Root's third argument?
  • From: bradc355113 at yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 05:21:10 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The Root function seems to have an undocumented third argument--does
anyone know what it represents?

I ran into it while trying to use some replacement rules to replace
Root objects in an expression, and none of my "Root[f_,k_]" patterns
were matching, because Root has an invisible third argument that
doesn't show up in output.

I have a workaround, but I'm still curious.

Thanks,
Brad