Root's third argument?

The Root function seems to have an undocumented third argument--does
anyone know what it represents?

I ran into it while trying to use some replacement rules to replace
Root objects in an expression, and none of my "Root[f_,k_]" patterns
were matching, because Root has an invisible third argument that
doesn't show up in output.

I have a workaround, but I'm still curious.

Thanks,
Brad