Re: Mathematica Language Encoding in Linux?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66320] Re: [mg66304] Mathematica Language Encoding in Linux?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 02:35:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Mon, 8 May 2006 00:46:59 -0400 (EDT), ahmet nurlu wrote:

> I am  a user of Mathematica 5.0 in Linux(Debian/testing). Sometimes, I
> need to prepare mathematica notebooks in my own Language(Turkish). I am
> not  able to write  Turkish inside Mathematica in Linux.
>
> I thought I could overcome this problem by changing language settings of
> the system  from "en_US" to "tr_TR"(as  by using  "export LC_ALL=tr_TR"
> command) but this time, Mathematica refuses to run and gives some
> errors.  I have also a windows version of Mathematica  and this problem
> is non-existent in Windows. I wonder the non-English users of
> Mathematica could use their own language inside the Mathematica
> environment in Linux?
>
> Ahmet Nurlu

I don't know for certain how well Turkish will work in your version of
Mathematica, but I do know for certain what's causing the errors you're
seeing.  There is a bug in your version of Mathematica (fixed in later
shipping versions) which causes problems when LC_NUMERIC is set to a locale
that uses a character other than '.' for the decimal point.

The workaround is easy.  Just add

export LC_NUMERIC=C

along with your LC_ALL variable setting.  You may also have to do a clean
start of Mathematica, which you can do by adding the -cleanStart flag to
your command-line (this should only be required the first time after you
modify the environment).

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com