Re: Mathematica Language Encoding in Linux?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66354] Re: [mg66304] Mathematica Language Encoding in Linux?
  • From: ahmet nurlu <ahmet_nurlu at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 06:34:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Fultz,

  Thanks for your reply. I have no problem running Mathematica in Linux. The system's settings was set to "en_US" encoding. But the problem is that I can't write some extended latin characters not defined in ISO-8859-1 like, Dotted uppercase "I", dotless lowercase "i", upper- and lowercase "G" with breve accent, and upper- and lowercase "S" with cedilla. As I said, this problem is non-existent in Windows XP.

  The only solution which came to mind  was to set the system's setting to ISO-8859-9(Latin5) encoding. But, As you said, this prevents Mathematica running in Linux. I am getting a warning massage saying that:

"The front end could not locate a character Encoding file for the requested encoding"
and some other warnings.  I hope I could find a solution for the problem which prevents me and my students using our native language.

Ahmet Nurlu
John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com> wrote:
  On Mon, 8 May 2006 00:46:59 -0400 (EDT), ahmet nurlu wrote:

> I am a user of Mathematica 5.0 in Linux(Debian/testing). Sometimes, I
> need to prepare mathematica notebooks in my own Language(Turkish). I am
> not able to write Turkish inside Mathematica in Linux.
>
> I thought I could overcome this problem by changing language settings of
> the system from "en_US" to "tr_TR"(as by using "export LC_ALL=tr_TR"
> command) but this time, Mathematica refuses to run and gives some
> errors. I have also a windows version of Mathematica and this problem
> is non-existent in Windows. I wonder the non-English users of
> Mathematica could use their own language inside the Mathematica
> environment in Linux?
>
> Ahmet Nurlu

I don't know for certain how well Turkish will work in your version of
Mathematica, but I do know for certain what's causing the errors you're
seeing. There is a bug in your version of Mathematica (fixed in later
shipping versions) which causes problems when LC_NUMERIC is set to a locale
that uses a character other than '.' for the decimal point.

The workaround is easy. Just add

export LC_NUMERIC=C

along with your LC_ALL variable setting. You may also have to do a clean
start of Mathematica, which you can do by adding the -cleanStart flag to
your command-line (this should only be required the first time after you
modify the environment).

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com