Re: Re: Do Mathematica applications EVER get updated?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66309] Re: Re: Do Mathematica applications EVER get updated?
  • From: "atul" <atulksharma at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 02:34:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm not entirely sure what prompts your anxiety, as I have used several
packages over the years, including Time Series, Wavelet Explorer and
Mathematica Link for Excel. While some functions (from both Time Series and
Mathematica Link) were incorporated into the kernel over time, updates to
ensure compatibility with new versions of Mathematica were timely and unobtrusive.
When I had problems with the initial installation of Mathematica Link for
Excel, I was able to interact directly with the developer, which was a rare
treat in problem resolution, and which went a long way to keeping me happy
even if we were unable to solve the problem, since I was never left feeling
like there were unexplored options or I was being brushed off because the
FAQ circulated to technical support staff  was out of date or incomplete.
The other packages clearly identify their developers in the .m files,
although I have had no reason to disturb them with problem applications.

It may be that your real concern, which hasn't been addressed in this
thread, is whether packages should evolve in functionality over time, as
opposed to retaining their core functionality with a minimum of fuss for the
long-time users. This seems to me to be a more philosophical question, and I
must say that the stability of the packages I mention has been - for me - a
source of some satisfaction, as nothing bothers me more than software that
becomes needlessly broken adding marginally useful functions, such as the
ability to interact with my toaster oven via bluetooth :)  In fact, the
stability of the package over times speaks to both robust implementation and
an environment that is itself relatively free of the complications
associated with bloated and inefficient code (see, for example, any product
from that place in Redmond., whose 'fixes' overwhelm me with their tedious
frequency and unintended consequences).

In general, the developers of Mathematica appear to be appropriately
cautious when introducing new functions into the kernel, taking pains
to ensure that there are no unintended complications for existing kernel
behavior. Package developers may have been influenced by this to adopt
a similar philosophy.  If this is your concern, I'm not sure how
realistic it is to expect continued and unconstrained expansion, since
like economic growth (or malignant cancer), I'm not sure that is really
a sustainable paradigm :)  I would urge you to examine the individual
packages to see if they meet your needs, without worrying too much
about the last revision date. While it is true that Time Series methods
have evolved since I bought the package, it is also true that the original
was never intended to be comprehensive, as long as it was flexible enough
to accept complementary models or algorithms that I might want to implement
and integrate with what it provides. In this, it has been extremely
useful, and comparable to stand-alone software for the same purpose that
I have also had occasion to use.

I am curious though, whether this was the actual source of your apprehension
or whether this was some specific deficiency in the packages you mention
that warranted concern. If that is the case, the list might benefit from
having those concerns articulated.

Atul

news:e3f65n$sbc$1 at smc.vnet.net...