Re: Save to Quicktime during calculations?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66443] Re: Save to Quicktime during calculations?
  • From: lawrenceknight at bellsouth.net (Larry Knight)
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 02:42:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't tried this, because I eventually went with an animated gif,
> but what about exporting all the frames (MapIndexed, Export, etc) to
> sequential png files and using ffmpeg to convert to whatever video
> format you like?

Thanks for the reply, Chris (and David). I will try your suggestions.

What is puzzling me is that "AutoSave after each result" function, which
is supposed to prevent the front end from using up a lot of memory does
not seem to help at all.  I see almost no difference in front end memory
usage whether I use it or not.

Also, I don't understand why the Kernel continually uses more and more
memory each time it goes through  my loop.  I thought that once the
Kernal sent the output (a 3-D surface in my case) to the front end that
the Kernal was now done with that memory.   But, the Kernal AND the
front end keep consuming more memory with each iteration.

Perhaps I am not understanding something very simple as to how to manage
the memory in the Kernal. Do I need to "flush" the Kernal memory somehow
at the end of each iteration?

Thanks again,
Larry Knight