A Mathematica crash under MacOS

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66445] A Mathematica crash under MacOS
  • From: Mark Normand <mnormand at foodsci.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 02:42:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In using the ListWaveform and Show functions in the Miscellaneous`Audio`
standard package of Mathematica, anytime I call Show with more than one Sound
object argument Mathematica crashes with the system error shown below.  This
also happens if I use the built-in Play function to generate the sound object,
so the crash doesn't depend on using the Miscellaneous`Audio` package.  Also,
Show works fine when given multiple Graphics object arguments.  I am running
Mathematica 5.2 under MacOS 10.4.6 on a 1.6 GHz PowerMac G5 that has 1.25 GB of
RAM and about 130 GB of free hard disk space.  This crash also occurs on a
colleague's PowerMac G4 running the same version of MacOS but another colleague
tried this same code (taken right from the Help examples for
Miscellaneous`Audio`) under Windows XP and it ran without problems.  It seems
to be a general problem that Mathematica 5.2 running under MacOS experiences a
crash when calling Show with multiple Sound arguments.  Is this a "bug" or a
"feature"?

< Miscellaneous`Audio`

partialList =
   {{1,1},{1.1,0.1},{1.2,0.9},{1.3,0.2},
    {1.4,0.8},{1.5,0.3},{1.6,0.7},
    {1.7,0.4},{1.8,0.6},{1.9,0.5}}

seq = Table[ListWaveform[partialList, 440 2^(x/12), 0.2], {x,0,9}]

Show[seq]

Here's the  text that appears in the box after Mathematica crashes:

The application Mathematica quit unexpectedly.

2006-05-10 14:06:28 -0400

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x06f19ff0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0    __memcpy + 1120 (cpu_capabilities.h:189)
1    0x1000 + 822264
2    0x1000 + 81676
3    0x1000 + 830144
4    0x1000 + 826776