Re: What does " 1.' " mean ?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg66695] Re: What does " 1.' " mean ?
- From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
- Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 03:52:09 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Arkalen wrote: > Warning : I am a complete newbie at using Mathematica. > > I have used NSolve to solve systems of non linear equations, and it gives > me results which look good except they contain several "1.'abc" where abc > are parameters. (that's "one period apostrophe"). > I assume it's shorthand notation for something but I can't tell what, the > Mathematica experts I might ask are all gone for a week and I can't find > it in the book. > > Anyone know what it means ? > Indeed, the character is not an apostrophe ' but a back quote ` which denotes in this case an arbitrary precision number. Have a look at the section 3.1.4, "Numerical Precision, of the Mathematica Book at http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/book/section-3.1.4 Best regards, Jean-Marc