RE: What does " 1.' " mean ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66698] RE: [mg66661] What does " 1.' " mean ?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 03:52:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

It's an approximate number, as opposed to an exact number like 1 which would
disappear. As soon as you include a decimal point in any number in an
expression, Mathematica will convert the entire expression to approximate
numbers. So you might see if you can eliminate the decimal points when
entering an expression to NSolve. Or you might prefer to use NDSolve and get
InterpolationFunctions as answers.

You might want to look at Section 3.1 in The Mathematica Book on Numbers.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/