Re: Product and Summation sign

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg66813] Re: Product and Summation sign
  • From: actuary at
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 06:31:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

The "HoldForm" suggestion works.

My question came about because I recently purchased "MathStatica" and
working through the material on Maximum Likehood Estimate.  The
contained in the test provided output from inputs that constructed a
likelihood function that contained the product sign, just like one
would write
it out if doing by paper and pencil.  Through the use of function
the Log of the likelihood function would be presented with a summation

None of the examples used "HoldForm".  My first thought was that a
setting was not set correctly (StandardForm not checked--It was)and
that was
the reason my output looked different than that in the text.

Any comments would be appreciated.