RE: Product and Summation sign

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66826] RE: [mg66788] Product and Summation sign
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 06:31:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Larry,

Just use a HoldForm to stop evaluation.

Sum[x[i], {i, 1, 50}] // HoldForm

If you wish to manipulate an expression within a HoldForm you can use rules,
or you could try the ExpressionManipulation package at my web site below.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: actuary at mchsi.com [mailto:actuary at mchsi.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

While a Mathematica user for some time,  use has been limited to number
crunching and not symbolic manipulations.  I started to remedy this
over the weekend.

I entered Sum[x[i],{i,1,50}] expecting to see a response with Summation
sign.  Instead the output was x[1}+x[2]+x[3]+.....

What do I need to do to get output that includes the Summation sign?
StandardForm was checked.

Thanks.

Larry