Programming style: postfix/prefix vs. functional

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70587] Programming style: postfix/prefix vs. functional
  • From: "Will Robertson" <wspr81 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 05:21:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

As a newcomer to Mathematica, I'm a little unsure on what "good style"
would be in this programming language. I notice that several functions
have prefix and postfix notations such as //. for ReplaceRepeated, /@
for Map, and so on.

Clearly using these forms makes the code more compact, but sacrifices
some level of readability. Are there guidelines or suggestions that
have built up over the years of whether these are "good" or "bad" to
use?

If it's simply personal preference, what do you like to use?
--
Many thanks,
Will Robertson