Batch evaluation of multiple notebooks?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69296] Batch evaluation of multiple notebooks?
  • From: "Blackadder" <Malte at t-online.de>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 05:31:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all,

over the last ten hours I've been trying to solve a problem that seemed
simple at first. I have several dozen notebooks, each with nearly
identical contents. The only differences between the notebooks are the
data values comprised in certain data lists within each notebook. What
I need to do now is to evaluate all notebooks.

I've tried to accomplish this via a "master" notebook that contains a
list of the names of all notebooks to be evaluated. The master notebook
processes the list of file names in a for loop and utilizes the
standard notebook manipulation functions, e.g. NotebookOpen[],
SelectionMove[], SelectionEvaluate[], and finally NotebookClose[].

The problem here is that the Mathematica front end does not wait for
the kernel to finish evaluation and vice versa. This regularly results
in NotebookClose[] being called for the opened notebook before this
notebook has fully evaluated.

My question is: How can I batch evaluate an arbitrary number of
notebooks without using MathLink? Is this even possible?

Bye, Malte.