Null's not null?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69393] Null's not null?
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 07:20:12 -0400 (EDT)

Putting Null into one or more slots in a Table and printing the Table
shows "Null" (without quotes) at the corresponding positions, as also
does ToString[Null].  I don't think that's what the Help message says:

      "Null is a symbol used to indicate the absence of an
       expression or a result. When it appears as an output
       expression, no output is printed."

I can use a string with a couple of empty spaces ("__") to represent an
occupied but not empty slot in a Table, but that just looks clumsy to
me.  Is there a truly non-printing Null symbol?