Variables Within Homemade Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69590] Variables Within Homemade Functions
  • From: Gregory Lypny <gregory.lypny at videotron.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 03:50:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hello everyone,

How can I ensure that variables in my home made function do not
conflict with variables with the same name outside the function?  Say
I have a variable, t, whose value in my notebook is 17.  I've brought
in a function from another notebook, myFunction, that contains a
variable named t, and in running the function, t will take on a
value.  Unfortunately, both t's are the same.  Is there any way to
make the t within the my function a local variable just like index
counters in the Table and Do functions?

Regards,

	Greg

t=17

myFunction[x_]:=(t=someOtherValue; rest of function here)