Re: Calculation of a very ugly integral

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69594] Re: Calculation of a very ugly integral
  • From: ss54 at york.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 06:57:04 -0400 (EDT)

Paul Abbott wrote:
> In article <eee2m7$6vm$1 at smc.vnet.net>, ss54 at york.ac.uk wrote:
>
> > Is there any way to compute numerically with Mathematica the very ugly
> > integral in Equation 2.1 in the paper below?
> >
> > http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/cache/papers/cs/26704/http:zSzzSzwww.ma.utexas.edu
> > zSzmp_arczSzczSz01zSz01-178.pdf/boos01evaluation.pdf
>
> Why would you want, or even try, to compute the integral numerically?
> The paper gives an algorithmic approach for computing the integrals.
> Moreover, the authors of the paper used Mathematica (see comment after
> equation (6.37)) to assist with such computations. I would suggest that
> you contact the authors directly for more information.

Thanks a lot for your replay.

The method described to compute the integral is difficult (at least for
me). As you can see, the authors are interested in having an expression
for P(n) in terms of the zeta function, logs and rationals. One can try
to feed the numerical outcome of the computation of the integral into
some integer relations algorithm. Well, this was my idea.

Thanks for your time,
Simone