Table command strange output when 'i' over 16

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69779] Table command strange output when 'i' over 16
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 04:43:56 -0400 (EDT)

hello;

Mathematica 5.2, on XP.

When I type the command

Table[0,{i,1,2},{i,1,2}]
Table[0,{i,1,3},{i,1,3}]
Table[0,{i,1,4},{i,1,4}]

etc... all the way to

Table[0,{i,1,15},{i,1,15}]

I always get a 2D square  Matrix filled with zeros as I expected.

But when I type

Table[0,{i,1,16},{i,1,16}]

Now the matrix returned no longer filled with zero.
Any idea why this is? and any other value of over 16 will also have this
problem.

Notice that when I change the second index counter from 'i' to 'j' it works:
Table[0,{i,1,16},{j,1,16}]

it works ok, and I get a matrix filled with zero.

any thoughts?

Here is a screen shot:
http://12000.org/tmp/092106/table_bug.htm

Nasser