RE: How to make a progress bar?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70000] RE: [mg69964] How to make a progress bar?
  • From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at aapt.net.au>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 05:12:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Andrey,

> Does anybody know how to force Mathematica to put symbols in one
> continuous line by repeatedly call the operator (say Print[]). If we
> call Print["a"] twice - we get two lines, and I want one line "a,a"
> It is common question when I do something like
>
> Do[
> MyFunction; (*Complicated and Very long*) Print["."] (*printed dot
> makes me know that an iteration has done*) ,{imax}]
>
> I get many lines with dot and I want ONE progress bar line growing,
> like .........

Print[] puts its output on a separate line so the only way this will work
through a loop, is to print your line with increasing numbers of dots.

	(
        	Print[StringJoin["." & /@ Range[#]]]
        ) & /@ Range[10];

Perhaps a better way might make use of the status bar.  There's a detailed
post by Paul Abbot from a few years ago
(http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/1999/Feb/msg00351.html), and
another by Jens-Peer Kuska
(http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2000/Nov/msg00056.html) that